— Rory Mcilroy (@McIlroyRory) December 31, 2013
In case you missed it, Rory McIlroy and his tennis star girlfriend, Caroline Wozniacki, tweeted news of their engagement on New Year’s Day from Sydney, where Wozniacki was preparing for the Australian Open. Although the young couple will have their work cut out to nurture a marriage while trotting the globe on their respective tours (and dodging the tabloids), here’s hoping their planned union is more successful than the ill-fated golf-and-tennis pairing of Greg Norman and Chris Evert.
The Wozzilroy engagement is just the latest example of the two country-club sports intermingling. Just for fun, here are a few others:
• Jack Nicklaus won 18 majors, but is a demon on the court.
• Ivan Lendl, tennis’ former world No. 1, became obsessed with golf after retiring and has sired three golfing daughters.
• LPGA player Jessica Korda, a 2013 U.S. Solheim Cupper, is the daughter of Petr Korda, a Czech tennis pro who won the singles title at the 1998 Australian Open.
• One-time pro golf journeyman Frank Conner is one of only two men to play in U.S. Open championships in golf and tennis. The other is Ellsworth Vines.
• Chevy Chase portrayed playboy golfer Ty Webb in Caddyshack and investigative reporter/tennis club infiltrator Irwin M. Fletcher in Fletch.
• Seinfeld’s Cosmo Kramer scored an ace in a whale’s blowhole and accidentally knocked out tennis pro Monica Seles while working as a “ball man” at the U.S. Open.