What we learned from the first round of The Masters:
- Adam Scott is serious about keeping the green jacket with him for another year. Can you blame him?
- Seven is not a lucky number for Phil Mickelson. He had two of them on his card Thursday, not counting the one in his score of 76. A fourth green jacket likely will have to wait.
- Bubba Watson could win again. And again.
- The par-3 12th hole lived up to its reputation Thursday, ranking as the second-toughest hole on the course. It was playing 158 yards. Golden Bell could be renamed Little Devil.
- Dustin Johnson isn’t going to win. Neither is Jason Dufner or Zach Johnson.
- Patrick Reed was almost a terrific first-day story until he finished with three straight bogeys to shoot 73.
- Rory McIlroy is sitting in a good place after an opening 71.
- Bill Haas doesn’t have a top-10 finish in a major championship. But he had never had the first-round lead in a major until Thursday.
- The first round was just an appetizer. We’re just getting to the good stuff.