It’s the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines this week, where we can count on a few things. Among them:
There won’t be as many birdies as there were at the CareerBuilder Challenge last week; we’ll get plenty of glamour shots along the cliffs that border the Pacific Ocean; and there’s always a chance of a fog delay.
Here are five players to keep an eye on this week:
5. Phil Mickelson: Another hometown guy who looked sharp in his 2016 debut last week in Palm Springs. He wanted to redesign the North Course but didn’t get the job. A win would be a nice consolation prize.
4. Charles Howell III: He usually has one really good West Coast finish and this could be the place. He’s never missed the cut in 13 starts in this event. The question is if he can make enough putts.
3. Pat Perez: Grew up hanging around Torrey Pines and his dad is a tee announcer. He loves the place and maybe karma works in his favor.
2. Jason Day: He won at Torrey Pines last year and he’s talented enough that he’s always a factor even if he’s only played one event in the past few months.
1. Rickie Fowler: He just won the Abu Dhabi Championship against the strongest field of this young year, and if he can shake off the jet lag from a 17-hour flight Fowler’s good enough that he could win here. He’s won four times since last May and has shown a knack for closing out big events.
— Global Golf Post (@GlobalGolfPost) January 27, 2016