The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am isn’t just about Bill Murray though it sometimes seems that way.
There’s a real golf tournament being played between the shots of Murray’s mugging, Andy Garcia, Mark Wahlberg, Ray Romano and Aaron Rodgers, among other A-listers who’ve picked what is supposed to be a spectacular weather week along the Monterey Peninsula.
So who are our five players to watch when you’re not watching the celebrities?
5. Jason Day: Like Spieth, it’s hard to pick against Day when he’s in the field. He missed the cut two weeks ago at Torrey Pines but his form is never far away.
4. Jimmy Walker: This seems to be his time of year. He’s finished 13th or better in all three of his 2016 starts and he won here two years ago.
3. Shane Lowry: Just because American fans still aren’t instantly familiar with Lowry doesn’t mean he can be ignored. He’s trending in the right direction with a T13 at the Farmers Insurance Open and a T6 at the Waste Management Phoenix Open last weekend.
2. Dustin Johnson: He likes this event and he gets to play with his father-in-law Wayne Gretzky. He won here in 2009 and 2010, was second in 2014 and fourth last year. That’s a pretty strong track record.
1. Jordan Spieth: If he’s in the field, how do you not pick him? Since October, Spieth has crisscrossed the globe playing events and never finishing outside the top 10. This is only a two-time-zone hop from his Dallas home and as long as his putting stroke made the trip, Spieth is the man to beat.