It’s time for Jack’s tournament at Muirfield Village, one of the best stops on the PGA Tour schedule because of who it is, where it is and when it is.
The Memorial is one of those special events that may not have major championship status but it has everyone’s attention, which is why it has one of the strongest fields of the year.
And with the U.S. Open just two weeks away, we’ve arrived at prime time in the Tour season. Here are our five picks this week:
5. Hideki Matsuyama: Top-shelf ballstriking is essential at Muirfield Village and that’s where Matsuyama excels. He’s won here before, too.
4. Matt Kuchar: He just seems like a fit for Muirfield Village. Kuchar has been playing well but he hasn’t cracked the winner’s circle in more than two years. That could change this week.
3. Rory McIlroy: Like Spieth, he answered questions about what’s been missing with his victory in the Irish Open. There’s a feeling he may be close to going on another Rory run.
2. Jason Day: This is a home game for Day, who lives in Columbus, Ohio. He hasn’t played since winning the Players Championship but there’s no reason to expect any drop-off given the way he’s played since late last summer.
1. Jordan Spieth: He pretty much answered any questions about what was supposedly wrong with his game last week at Colonial. He’s dialed in again so watch out.