It’s Wyndham Championship week and the stars came out early in Greensboro.
Jimmy Buffett stopped by on Monday to get a look at the Margaritaville café located adjacent to the Sedgefield Country Club clubhouse and country music star Eric Church played in the Wednesday pro-am.
Now it’s time for the serious golf in the last Tour event before the FedEx Cup playoffs begin. The real pressure is on players hovering around the 125th spot on the FedEx Cup points list including No. 124 Matt Jones, No. 125 Whee Kim, No. 126 Scott Stallings and No. 127 Kyle Stanley.
While they play a tournament within a tournament, here are the five best picks at Sedgefield this week:
5. Webb Simpson: After a sluggish season, Simpson’s year has gathered momentum over the past month. Like Haas, he plays well at Sedgefield, winning in 2011 with four more top 11 finishes here since 2010.
4. Bill Haas: In his last four starts at Sedgefield, Haas finished T7, T20, T2, T6. The place fits him and his connection to nearby Wake Forest helps him feel at home.
3. Rickie Fowler: He’s also back from Rio where he immersed himself in the Olympic experience. Fowler wants to lock down a Ryder Cup spot and a big week could do it.
2. Patrick Reed: Just back from Rio, Reed is still chasing his first win this year. He’s been close several times and this is the spot where Reed beat Jordan Spieth in a sudden-death playoff three years ago.
1. Jim Furyk: Mr. 58 seems built for Sedgefield’s old school demands. Then again, Furyk seems capable of handling just about any course. It’s his first trip to Sedgefield in five years.