The U.S. Open is slated for next week at Wisconsin’s Erin Hills, and the groupings for the first two rounds promise to provide plenty of entertainment value.
- The past three U.S. Open winners – Dustin Johnson (2016), Jordan Spieth (2015) and Martin Kaymer (2014) – will be paired together. They are slated to tee off No. 10 at 8:35 a.m. EDT Thursday and to be among the last to finish on Friday.
- Phil Mickelson has a tee time alongside hometown favorite Steve Stricker and Stewart Cink, but he likely will be replaced as he stays home in California for his daughter Amanda’s high school graduation. They are scheduled for 2:20 p.m. CDT start on Thursday, and Amanda Mickelson’s graduation is taking place at 10 a.m. PDT the same day. A weather delay would appear to be the only hope for Lefty to make it in time. The USGA has said there will be an alternate lined up to fill Mickelson’s spot in the likely event that he doesn’t make it.
- One group before the Stricker-Cink-Mickelson group, the power trio of Jason Day, Justin Rose and Rory McIlroy will tee off at 2:09 p.m. CDT. McIlroy hasn’t played since the Players Championship due to a rib injury. World No. 11 Rose will be the lowest-ranked player in the group, behind No. 2 McIlroy and No. 3 Day.
- Three past U.S. Amateur champions will also be grouped together as Matt Fitzpatrick (2013), Peter Uihlein (2010) and Byeong-Hun An (2009) will tee off at 2:09 p.m. CDT.
- Only one player can win the grand slam in 2017, and that is Masters winner Sergio García. He tees off with Adam Scott and Bubba Watson at 1:36 p.m. CDT.
- Another group with plenty of firepower will be the trio of Jon Rahm, Rickie Fowler and Hideki Matsuyama, who tee off at 7:51 a.m. CDT. All three have won a PGA Tour event in 2017 and are in pursuit of their first major title.
- As is its wont, the USGA has paired several past major winners together. Webb Simpson, Ernie Els and Lucas Glover (all U.S. Open winners) will tee off at 8:35 a.m. CDT, while Danny Willett, Zach Johnson and Ángel Cabrera (all Masters winners) will tee off at 8:13 a.m. CDT.
For all of the first- and second-round tee times, CLICK HERE
RELATED STORY: Recovering Jimmy Walker to Play Erin Hills
RELATED STORY: Stricker Earns U.S. Open Berth The Hard Way