SOUTHPORT, ENGLAND | Henrik Stenson, the defending Open champion, finished Thursday at 1-under par and minus his clothes, his credit cards and his watches. The house where he is staying had been looted while he was out on the course.
“When I finished my (first) round, I was informed that the house where I’m staying had been burgled,” said Stenson, who was back to even par after five holes of his second round. “It’s obviously very special for me to be playing here at (Royal) Birkdale as the defending Open champion so I am going to try not to let this spoil the week in any way.”
Typically, Stenson was soon sufficiently accepting of the situation to laugh at the suggestion that the newspaper people might want to accompany the story with a picture of him as he appeared during the 2009 WGC-CA Championship at Doral. Namely the one in which he stripped to his boxer shorts to play a shot out of the mud.
Stenson may have been sad when the time came to hand back the Claret Jug at the start of this week but, as you would expect, he is now thanking his lucky stars that the trophy was not around for the burglars – and that his family were safely out of harm’s reach at the golf club.
As was mentioned in The Sun, Stenson has been robbed in the past. That was back in 2009 when he invested in a bogus scheme set up by the American financier Allen Stanford, who was convicted of a £5 billion fraud.
An R&A spokesperson said, “We were very sorry to hear about the burglary and have offered an assistance we can provide to Henrik and his family.”
ADDITIONAL READING: The “2009 Best New Course in Canada” Has Been Closed 3 Years, But Still Keeps Staff of 20 Working (from the latest issue)