PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FLORIDA | The news was no great surprise but Tiger Woods made it official Wednesday that he will tee it up at the Open Championship in July at Carnoustie.
Woods, a three-time Open champion, has not played in the event since 2015 at St. Andrews. Woods won the Claret Jug at St. Andrews in 2000 and 2005, and at Royal Liverpool in 2006.
The Open Championship will be played July 19-22 at Carnoustie, which last hosted the event in 2007 when Pádraig Harrington won his first of consecutive Claret Jugs.
Woods is playing in the Players Championship this week, coming off a T55 finish at the Wells Fargo Championship last week as he works his way back to a full schedule for the first time since 2013.
“This is all exciting because I just didn’t know what to expect,” Woods said Tuesday. “To sit here 12 months ago and you had said, ‘Yeah, you’re going to be playing the Players Championship, and you’re going to have had a chance to win a couple of events this year,’ I would’ve said, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me, I can barely walk.’
“I wouldn’t say it’s gravy, but it’s unbelievable and I’m just so thankful to be able to have this opportunity again because I didn’t know if I would have ever had it. Trust me, I’m fully aware of how special this is for me.”
Woods, who also will play in the U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills in mid-June, has not yet officially committed to play one of his traditional stops, the Memorial Tournament, slated for early June.