Struggling with an injured knee, John Daly withdrew from this week’s U.S. Senior Open after the USGA, which runs the championship, turned down his request to use a golf cart.
PGA Tour Champions permits competitors to use carts in its tournaments, and Daly used one last week while finishing in the top 10 at the American Family Insurance Championship in Wisconsin. In a Monday tweet, Daly cited deteriorating osteoarthritis in his right knee and suggested he is eligible for accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Unfortunately— I had to WD from the US SENIOR OPEN. The deteriorating osteoarthritis isn’t helping my rt knee. I fall under the @ADANational but @USGA turned down a cart for me this week. Just going to give the knee a rest. Don’t know what’s ahead for me. https://t.co/Bna5maK13P
— John Daly (@PGA_JohnDaly) June 25, 2018
In a subsequent statement, the USGA confirmed that Daly had followed its process for requesting a cart but his submission did not support a waiver of the championship’s walking condition. Scott Verplank also requested a cart, and the information he provided supported his request, the statement said. The USGA later said it offered Daly the opportunity to provide additional information to support his request but that Daly instead opted to withdraw.
On Daly’s withdrawal: Each request is reviewed individually. We respect the privacy of all players and cannot discuss any medical conditions. We offered Mr. Daly the opportunity to provide additional information to support his request. He decided to withdraw this morning.
— USGA PR (@USGA_PR) June 25, 2018
In a subsequent tweet, Daly said no additional information was ever requested.
I’m not going to mislead the media or my fans. No “additional information” was ever requested, or it would have been provided. I “WD” bc @USGA had already made their decision after our exhaustive medical submission. Any claim to the contrary is pure fiction. https://t.co/6EfnBnkqaJ
— John Daly (@PGA_JohnDaly) June 26, 2018